Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless, tasteless gas resulting from incomplete combustion of carbon based fuels such as natural gas, gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, or wood.
According to the National Comfort Institute, carbon monoxide is the #1 cause of poisonings in the U.S. The trend toward tighter building construction to diminish heating and cooling loads resulting from air infiltration actually increases the potential for indoor pollution.
Various health agencies have established permissible exposure limits (PELs) for carbon monoxide in terms of parts per million (ppm) averaged during an 8 hour time period. OSHA's PEL is 50 ppm; NIOSH PEL is 25 ppm; and ACGIH PEL is 35 ppm.
Regardless of established values some people will be more sensitive than others to elevated CO levels. Children, the elderly, persons with existing illness may be especially sensitive to carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is harmful when breathed because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain, and other vital organs of oxygen. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include: headache; fatigue; dizziness; drowsiness; nausea; and chest pain.
Your Alliance service technician will be able to evaluate your home or business for potential CO exposure. When carbon monoxide exposure is a possibility, monitors are available to alert you to potential danger.
Alliance Comfort Systems recommends the CO monitor from The National Comfort Institute (NCI/NSI).
The NCI monitor is a low level carbon monoxide monitor which uses the same technology and sensors used in professional grade CO analyzers, enabling it to sense CO levels as low as 5 ppm. (Many monitors on the market today don't alarm until the unsafe levels of 70 ppm or higher are present at the unit for 3½ hours!)
The NSI 3000 monitor recommended by Alliance offers real protection including:
If carbon monoxide monitoring is of concern, check with Alliance for our recommendations.
Which monitor is right for you?